FAQ & Answers
How to do I obtain my Commercial Driver License (CDL)?
NOTE: You must pass a medical examination and hold a valid Federal Medical Card to drive in intrastate or interstate commerce in accordance with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations
- Study the appropriate section(s) in theCDL Manualbefore taking your test(s).All applicants for a CDL must pass the General Knowledge Test.
- Take and pass the appropriate Knowledge Test(s) for the vehicle you plan to drive. You must present a valid Class D license at the time of testing
- Obtain your Commercial Driver License Instructional (CDLI) permit.
- Schedule and pass the pre-trip and skills test(s). You must schedule a skills test with approved third party testers.
- You can add the CDL classes and endorsements to your Class D license.
What is the CDL medical requirements?
To drive in intrastate or interstate commerce, you must have passed a medical examination within the past 2 years, in accordance with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
Do you provide any training classes?
No, we cannot provide any type of training. We only administer the CDL tests. You have to call a certified trainer for CDL training.
What equipment will I be able to drive once I have my commercial driver license?
What you are allowed to drive depends on two things: the license class and which, if any, endorsements you have. Here's a breakdown:
- Class A: Allows you to drive any combination of vehicles with a combined GVWR of more than 26,000 pounds, and the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds
- Class B: Allows you to drive a single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more or any such vehicle with a trailer with a GVWR of no more than 10,000 pounds
- Class C: Allows you to drive any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.
If the equipment you want to drive is not listed in any of the above categories, then you will need to obtain an endorsement to add to your CDL. Here's a list of endorsement types, equipment, and cargo, along with the letter designation for the endorsement:
- Bulk liquid tankers (N)
- Doubles/Triples (T)
- Passenger buses (P)
- School buses (S)
- Hazmat cargo, regardless of vehicle size (H)
If you want to be licensed to drive equipment with air brakes, then you need a separate endorsement for that. You must take an additional knowledge test and the vehicle you supply for your road test must have air brakes in order to get your authorization.
Do you have a truck that I can use for the CDL test?
Yes, we do for a rental fee. Go to rates and services
How much does it cost?
If you rent our truck the cost is $350.00 then it is $50 for each test after. If you bring a truck with a licensed cdl driver, it is $50.00. (Make sure the truck is a licensed as a commercial vehicle)
Do you accept credit cards or checks?
Cash only!! We do NOT accept checks anymore. We are not set up for credit cards.
Do you have to pay again if you fail?
Yes, you pay if you PASS or FAIL. Yes its $50 per test you have to take over.
How long do I have to wait if I fail the CDL road test?
It depends on your points. You could wait two days, one week or two weeks at the maximum. Pre-trip is two days.
What do I need to bring for the road test?
- Valid driver license (CLASS D)
- Valid CDL permit
- Memory Aid, if you whish to use it on the pre-trip
- Cash for the road test
Do I need a CDL to drive a dump truck?
Yes, if the vehicle is in the class of commercial vehicle, then you must obtain a CDL before you may drive it on public roads. The same is true for other construction equipment including cement mixers and other large vehicles.
What are CDL Restrictions?
If I fail the pre-trip is the test over?
Yes, It is a two day wait
If I fail the backing, is the test over?
Yes, it is a one week wait
If I fail the road test, how long do I wait?
Depending on the score, it is one day, one week, or two weeks